Health is the greatest gift. It is the first wealth everyone should treasure upon. The prevention of health is easier than the cure of the disease. One such spectacles are the ovarian cysts. It is easy to prevent them. However, they cause serious highly disturbing side effects when treated.
Here is a complete guide to learn about the ovarian cysts, their types, causes, prevention, their pregnancy effects.
What are ovarian cysts?
Ovarian cysts are formed in the ovaries (female reproductive organ where the eggs are produced). A cyst is a fluid filled sac. Cysts are not only formed in ovaries. They can be formed in any part of the body
How are ovarian cysts formed?
Every month the female body grows a cyst like structure called follicles. The eggs develop inside these follicles. After the eggs are released, the follicles should break down on its own. When they fail to, they start growing, filling in fluids forming the cysts. The cysts should resolve on their own within few menstrual cycles.
How do ovarian cysts affect pregnancy?
Not all the ovarian cysts are harmful. Some are harmless while there are some cysts that affect the ability to get pregnant. The following are the different types of cysts associated with pregnancy
They are common. These cysts contribute to infertility. They are the follicles that resolve on their own. When they fail to do so, they develop into cysts. To learn more, about functional cysts visit the website.
These cysts cause uncomfortable pains. They affect pregnancy. There are 2 types of symptomatic cysts. They are
- Dermoid cysts – They are formed from human bone fragments, hair, tissue and even teeth. They are formed from the cells that create ova.
- Cystadenomas cysts – They are mucus filled sacs. They develop from the ovarian tissue. These cysts are dangerous as they can cause cancer.
What are the causes of ovarian cysts?
They are caused because of the following:
- Hormone problems – Functional cysts are caused due to hormonal problems. It can be due to intake of hormonal drugs. Hormonal drugs are the drugs that help to ovulate (releasing egg from ovary). Or it may also form due to hormonal imbalances.
- Endometriosis – The endometriosis tissue gets attached to the ovary and form a growth. These cysts cause unbearable pains during sex and during menstrual cycles. Endometriosis is the process where the uterus lining grows on other pelvic organs
- Pregnancy – Cysts generally develop during the early stages of pregnancy to support pregnancy. The process of cyst formation continues till the placenta is formed. However, the problem arises when the cyst stays in the ovary even after pregnancy
- Pelvic infections – Infections in the ovaries and fallopian tubes spread to cause cysts.
How are cysts diagnosed?
Cysts cause pelvic pain. They are unbearable. They radiate to the lower backs and thighs. They create pressure on the bowel movements. The other symptoms are as follows
- They cause increased urination, nausea and vomiting.
- The breasts are tender and are painful.
These symptoms are also sign of ectopic pregnancy. It is the state of pregnancy where embryo is implanted in the fallopian tubes.
Gynecologists perform ultrasound and blood works to confirm cysts. When they cannot be confirmed through these tests, MRI scans are prescribed.
Who are vulnerable to ovarian cysts?
- Ovarian cysts are common among women with regular menstrual cycles. Every month all the women belonging to menstruating age generate cysts. However, the problem arises only when the cysts fail to disintegrate in the successive cycles. Therefore, every woman is vulnerable to ovarian cysts
- It is also common amongst women after menopause. They are at higher risks of cancer
- Ovarian cysts are also common among pregnant women after child birth. To learn the reasons of their persistence after child birth visit the website.
How to avoid ovarian cysts?
Strict diet and healthy fitness routine help to avoid cysts in the ovaries. Women undergoes 2 stages of transformation in her lifetime. They are
At puberty the body prepares her for reproduction. At menopause she is controlled out of the reproductive process. When women enter these stages, they should extraordinarily focus on their diet. This stage is crucial as the body prepares itself for the coming days. The following food help to build a healthy reproductive system at these stages.
- Eat bigger breakfast
- Avoid trans fats
- Reduce the intake of carbohydrates and increase protein
- Increase intake of fibers
- Add more dairy products
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Make the meal rich in vitamins
Home remedies to alleviate cyst pains
- Massage – Ovarian cysts are painful. This causes the surrounding muscles to tense up. They are extremely painful during the cycles. In such cases, massaging lower back, thighs, stomach help to reduce pain
- Exercise and stretching
- Heat – Apply heat pad over the stomach and lower back for about 20 minutes.
- Practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga and deep breathing.
- TENS device – It is Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulation device. They generate safe electric signals and deliver to the nerves. They change how nerves respond to pain.
- Weight loss – When woman loses weight her body regulates hormones in a better way. To learn more home remedies and natural treatments at home visit website.
Can ovarian cysts lead to cancer?
Yes. However, only 10% of the ovarian cysts lead to cancer. The chances of cancer are more only in the women at the age of menopause.
When are surgeries needed for ovarian cysts?
Surgeries are required to treat ovarian cysts in the following cases
- If the cysts do not disintegrate even after several menstrual cycles
- If the size of the cysts gets bigger
- When the pain caused is unbearable